Monday, February 1, 2016

Reading and watching films...

I've completed a fair amount of reading over the past few weeks - All Quiet on the Western Front, Erich Maria Remarque Slaughter House 5 by Kurt Vonnegutt, Shakespeare's Hamlet & just finished quite a large tome entitled Science and Religion. All of these were most enjoyable and in answer to my son's question 'What did you learn by reading these books'? I can reply by saying that sometimes reading is a consolidation of existing knowledge and it's interesting to revisit this information.

This morning I picked up a copy of Solzhenitsyn's The Gulag Archipelago from my local op shop. I'll begin reading that later on this afternoon. I must report that I saw The Big Short (Dir. Adam McKay) and it's the first film I've walked out on in about thirty years. I felt like I was watching an episode of The Office. The actors, mainly males were way to blokey for me and I loathed the way the film was directed.

But, what I thoroughly enjoyed week before last was The Biography of Things currently being shown at ACCA, particularly Grosse Fatigue a video by Camille Henrot from Paris.

Anyway,  painting and drawing is still on hold for me, however below is a photo of some of my small acrylic paintings currently being exhibited at Preview International Fabrics in the Richmond Plaza. I went to pick them up this morning but Paul asked if I could leave them there until the end of February, which is fine by me. If you would like to purchase any of the paintings they are reasonably priced.
Ligne - acrylic paintings by Julie Clarke 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment