Thursday, September 27, 2012

GO HAWKS!

I grew up in Hawthorn - actually lived in Burwood Road with my maternal grandmother who was an avid supporter of the Hawthorn Football club. Most Saturday afternoons she would make up a tray containing cheese and biscuits on a plate,  a pot of hot tea, milk and her cup and saucer - the pretty one decorated with flowers and she'd retreat into her bedroom to listen to the game on the radio. She wasn't to be disturbed and often spoke of Peter Hudson, who was apparently her favorite player. I have to admit that I took little interest in football when I was a child (even though I remember my father taking me to a match when I was about four years old), but over the years and since my son is a Hawthorn supporter, I do take delight in the fact that Hawthorn wins. I've lived in Hawthorn at various times of my life - eight years when I was a child, twelve years when I was in my thirties and early forties and more recently for just over two years. That's about a third of my life, so there are connections that can't be ignored. I suppose this is a kind of C'mon the Hawks post for the Grand Final on Saturday. I'll probably not watch the match, but of course I'll be interested in whether or not they win.

No comments:

Post a Comment