Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Earthquake in Christchurch, so sorry

We go through our daily lives, mostly untroubled. As I write this I'm thinking of the people in Christchurch and the terrible earthquake that has changed thousands of  lives. Many are dead. Many more who are still trapped  under the rubble may not survive.  Those that do will be physically and psychologically marred for life. That this blemish on their body and spirit was caused by a natural disaster, one that arrived, suddenly, unannounced and so unprepared for, makes it all the more poignant; for it was not human greed or power that created this overwhelming confusion and utter devastation but the earth's forces, over which there is no control. I can add little except that we who have not experienced such an event can only watch in wonder and terror and admire those who, despite their own injuries and worries are helping others. I know no-one in New Zealand, but my  heart feels crushed under the weight of the knowledge that innocent people have had to endure such anguish and I can only wish for them, as I'm sure we all do that they endue despite great pain and loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment