Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Christchurch earthquake

I was brought to tears at lunchtime today whilst watching televised coverage of the aftermath of the 6.3 magnitude earthquake that hit Christchurch today. A limp,young girl was dragged from a  damaged building, and people were running as buildings collapsed.
There's been one terrible tragedy after another throughout the world in the past few months  - so much death and misery and I thought I was becoming desensitized to images of grief and destruction, but no, I couldn't stand watching it all another second so went down to Camberwell to complete the eye examination, which I missed out having last week. 
We are so lucky that the fault line that runs through Victoria has not yet translated into a major earthquake.  Though some say it's well overdue. The last one that we experienced was a mere 4.6 magnitude on 6 March 2009 and although some felt its force, mostly it caused little damage. I'm going to spend some time this afternoon thinking of things I'm grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment