Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Reflections

I was taking time out in Brunswick Street yesterday, talking to a young woman wearing a bright red beret, when I saw Jon Cattapan walk by. I assumed it was because he was visiting Sutton Gallery. Five minutes later when I approached the gallery I realised it wasn't open on a Monday, so looked through the tiny hole at eye height in the front door. I immediately recognised the paintings on the wall as Jon Cattapan's ~ they had that lovely watery quality that I love. His exhibition is on until 24 July, so I must make a point of seeing it. Jon was one of my lecturers when I was undertaking my undergraduate degree in painting and printmaking at RMIT 1989-1991. So long ago!
I now understand my dream last night, it was filled with people from my life twenty years ago, it was filled with people who didn't recognise me and then at the very last moment before I woke, one nodded in my direction. Maybe that's all we really need ~ just one person to recognise us, to remind us that we are not forgotten ~ that we are not invisible, or, is that statement just my western, individualistic, ego driven self speaking? My higher self would say that recognition from others is an illusion if one doesn't recognise self as worthy, regardless of achievements!
And speaking of art, on the weekend, my son's girlfriend Laura gave me The Dutch Masters: From the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam ~ an extensive glossy exhibition catalogue produced by the National Gallery of Victoria. Just beautiful! Today, after I've had a swim I'll be delivering my two A3 sized photographs to the Centre for Contemporary Photography for inclusion in the Kodak Salon exhibition (I'll post the two images on my blog after the exhibition opens on the 29 July). I hope the weather improves before I have to venture out today. It was 3.5 degrees when I got up at 5am this morning and it's so difficult being out in the cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment