Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Body scan...

My body scan on David Kousemaker & Tim Olden's 'Blendid Interaction Design' 'Toucheme (2004) at Experimenta Utopia Now.
Photograph: Julie Clarke, 2010
I couldn't resist going back just one more time today to have another look at the artworks in Experimenta UTOPIA NOW and this time I plucked up the nerve to press my body and face against the screen on David Kousemaker & Tim Olden's Touchme interface so that I would be scanned. I'd watched other people do this and knew that if I moved I would create some kind of unusual body distortion. So, as I surrendered myself to the vertical white light that traversed my body I moved my arm. The resultant image - on screen for just a few seconds is replaced by the ghostly form of another. I quickly took this photograph, which I recognised as me even though it's not a good likeness. I appear serene, almost blissful out of a dark space into the light. My right hand is slightly withered - asymmetric. I stand, eyes closed, gesturing a strange signal to those who will look and wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment