Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Strange attractors...

EEG printout overlays. Julie Clarke, 1994

Information acts as a kind of strange attractor. Pulls you in one direction and then the other, slipstreams you into the past or future. This might sound like 'chaos theory', a kind of 'eternal return' narrative because of its circularity, but I find life to be like that. This morning I came across a word combination from my past. It was mentioned on a friends Facebook site. Clan Analogue (Clan - people united by perceived kinship. Analogue - something similar to something else). Clan Analogue is an Australian electronic arts organisation that has been involved with arts, radio, dance party and other music events since 1995. Clan's members are electronic musicians, video artists, DJs, writers and computer artists, who work in a diverse range of media styles and interests. I still have one of the leaflets I produced for them for their Glob Club 2 Outdoor Dance Party at Studley Park in 1995.
I was reminded that in 1996 I was invited to do the visuals for the Melbourne techno band 'Signal to Noise' for their gig at The Punters Club, Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. I was a friend of Joe Stozic, band-member, computer programmer and keyboard player. In order to successfully project my images, I set up a large white sheet over one of the pub walls. I sat on the floor whilst the band was playing and moved the transparencies over the projector surface in sync with the music. Most of the images I used were print-outs of EEG's taken of my brainwaves at the Neuroscience Department at Swinburne in 1994 where I had been involved in a study. I overlaid these EEG's with other images of insects and the words evolution.
It was only recently that I mentioned these images when writing the catalogue essay for The Global Mind Project's : 'Spectacle of the Mind' performances, which involved Jill Orr, Stelarc and Domenico de Clario wearing an Emotiv EPOC headset (the headset takes brain signals and interfaces wirelessly with computers and games) and interfacing with Karen Casey's images.
As someone who takes notice of what the universe provides; of the signals and signposts, I now ask myself: Is this it, or is there more information on the way? For a history of Clan Analogue see:

http://old.zog.net.au/clan/history.html

No comments:

Post a Comment