Sunday, October 30, 2016

Kong Chew Chinese Opera Association at the Collingwood Town Hall

Photo: Julie Clarke (c) 2016
This afternoon I had the pleasure of accompanying Leonie Osowski to see the Kong Chew Chinese Opera Association perform a diverse program at the Collingwood Town Hall. The afternoon was arranged to raise funds for the Fred Hollows Foundation and it was obvious that those present were most generous in their contributions. I have to admit that my western ears although having previously heard Chinese music and opera took a little time to attune to the rather shrill sounds, happily much of what I heard, both orchestral and from the singers was harmonious and interesting. I should also say that Leonie and I were amongst the few anglos in the audience and all the Chinese people we met were so gracious. Here's a few photographs I took of the event.
Roy. Photo: Julie Clarke (c) 2016
I love the subtle watercolor like backdrop on the stage, the Pagoda and the intricate wood decorations which framed the stage. I found it all aesthetically pleasing.

Photo: Julie Clarke (c) 2016


No comments:

Post a Comment