Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Hot and sultry...

This time yesterday I looked outside and the bright sun (not my friend at all) was flooding everything with its harsh light and eerie yellow glow. There was a strange uneasiness within me that I couldn't quite capture; all the same I wrote on face book Everything outside is still, no-one in the park, not even the birds want to leave the cool shade of the trees. There is a HUSH -  uncanny - disturbing, like the world is asleep and will only awaken when the heat leaves and we have rain. I had to go out this morning, down to the library to use the printer and then to the Post Officer to post some letters. I hope that both pieces of correspondence are received in time. I struggled like most people in this relentless heat to do a little shopping and found that being in a large department store with its glorious cool air-conditioning was the only way to go. I decided to take a taxi home after seeing several ambulances screech by. I didn't want to be one of those poor people admitted to hospital with heat stroke. I'm home and the sultry heat outside appears to match the languid, beautiful and some times comedic & romantic French film I've been watching on SBS ONE. It's called Family Hero (Thierry Klifa, 2006). Can't believe that Catherine Deneuve is still so beautiful after all these years and all the partially naked bodies in the film seems to match our need in this heat wave to strip down to almost nothing in order to keep cool. I've just heard The Rose sung in French, softer than Bette Midler's famous rendition of it and somehow more poignant. So, I'll end there.

Some say love, it is a river
That drowns the tender reed.
Some say love, it is a razor
That leaves your soul to bleed.
Some say love, it is a hunger,
An endless aching need.
I say love, it is a flower,
And you its only seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment