Thursday, January 10, 2013

Waste that Matters: Kidneys as illicit trade and desire in the film 'Dirty Pretty Things'

http://www.allmovie.com/movie/dirty-pretty-things-v272712
In 2010 I was asked by Professor Christine James (Syracuse University) to write an article for an upcoming Disability reader. The book never eventuated so I placed it on Academia.edu in 2011 so that it could be read and/or circulated to those interested. The article, entitled Waste that Matters: Kidneys as illicit trade and desire in the film 'Dirty Pretty Things' has been viewed on Academia.edu 176 times. Keywords: kidneys, organ transplant, poverty, Muslim, waste, vendor, trade in human organs.
Since there is still an apparent lack of cadaveric organs available worldwide, I just wanted to add that I would willingly donate my organs if doing so did not cause anxiety, a concern I expressed on page 7 of the article. Someone out there can see because of my father's donated corneas.  If you haven't seen DIRTY PRETTY THINGS (Stephen Frears, 2002) you should attempt to do so and if you are interested in reading the article it may be found by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment