Friday, December 7, 2012

The Friend (Postcard from Zarathustra)

Always once one - that maketh two in the long run!

I and me are always too
earnestly in conversation: how could it be endured, if there were not a friend?
The friend of the anchorite is always the third one: the third one is the cork which preventeth the conversation of the two sinking into the depth. Ah! there are too many depths for all anchorites. Therefore, do they long so much for a friend and for his elevation. Thus Spake Zarathustra (Chapter 14, The Friend)

1 comment:

  1. I suspect that Nietzsche spent much time alone. I can certainly relate to that. I sometimes go for days without having a face to face conversation. I suppose our sanity may be found not in the darkness of our own thoughts, even though we may be comfortable in the familiarity of our own psyche but in the brightness of the other?

    ReplyDelete