Friday, December 28, 2012

Reading and writing

More recently I've read On Longing: Narratives of the Miniature, the Gigantic, the Souvenir, the Collection by Susan Stewart, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis and currently I'm reading The Harp in the South by Ruth Park.
During the year I began, but didn't finish Ulysses by James Joyce, Fascists by Michael Mann, One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Islamic Art by David Rice and The Pre-Raphaelites by Timothy Hilton. I have however read articles in journals and other people's poems.
I used to read so that I would learn, underlining important or quotable passages I might use in a piece of my own writing. These days I read for the experience - that enveloping feeling of being totally lost in the book, much like the reason I go to the cinema.  I can't explain why I don't finish some books and read others to the end. Perhaps I stop at the point when I feel I've understood what the writer intended, maybe I simply become seduced by other things, or it might be that reading makes me want to write. I've never understood why some people read a book twice!
I can see that this post is one of those 'end of year' kind of things, where we take stock of projects completed and think about those not yet realized. I'm happy to say that most of my projects continue on from where the last one ended. All of the writing and my art intertwined.
2013 for me will be continuing a series of photographs of parts of my body (an extension, if you like, of my Aut(o)ptics(o)ma project) (fragment of one of the images above) and making more drawings and poetic prose for 70510. No New Years resolutions, no promises I cannot keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment