Friday, August 24, 2012

CHLOTILDE by CHARLES STREBOR

Chlotilde as Reflection. Charles Strebor
Chlotilde at Sunrise. Charles Strebor
Chlotilde Curvalicius. Charles Strebor
Chlotilde with Bricks. Charles Strebor
Chlotilde with Rays. Charles Strebor
Here are some beautiful photographs of a pole and overhead electric wires by my friend Charles Strebor who lives in the Northern Territory. Charles explains:

Chlotilde was located on the corner of Sprigg Street and Pearce Place in Millner. She was removed for the undergrounding of electrickeries in my neighbourhood whilst I was in Melbourne in May and June: long may she reign. 

I asked Charles why it was called Chlotilde. I thought his images may have been a homage to Saint Clotilde. His response was that:

Kay Walker (Kay @murfomurf on Twiiter) named it Chlotilde - it sounded cyclonic - perfect timing as Kay chose the name during one of our cyclones. The gender is rather irrelevant: Chlotilde just happens to be assigned a female 'gender' by our society. I give names to everything,  or I ask other people to give names to things for me.
 
Charles Strebor's blog may be located here.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks Julie - tis grand to see Chlotilde spreading around the interwebz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure. They are great photographs, such a wonderful addition to the blog. Just had an email from Erin saying how much he liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that Chlotilde can be remembered past her "lifetime" and giving her a name has made her more memorable IMHO. She is a symbol of the ordinary that most people overlook, but really she played an important part in keeping a suburb running and well lit at night. Her function has been usurped by underground cables, invisible and mysterious, and completely out of mind for the public. Despite the efforts of the electrickery authorities, Chlotilde's memory lives on in Rantz's friendship network and gives community philosophers fuel for their cogitations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great name Kay. I also appreciate the fact that Charles has elevated the everyday into something quite beautiful. I myself have taken photos of the pole and overhead wires outside my place and I know others who are quite captured by such things. It is almost romantic to be thinking about Chlotilde in this way & thanks to Charles she is no longer absent.

    ReplyDelete