Sunday, May 8, 2011

Perception

Just thought I'd mention this morning that my exhibition Aut(o)ptics(o)ma is only on for another ten days. If anyone wants to see the exhibition with me I'm happy to be there in the space at around 1.15pm on Tuesday 10 May or17 May. Send me an email and perhaps we can go for a coffee in the beautiful Plane Tree courtyard. I must say there have been some interesting reactions to the exhibition. Many people like the colors, are impressed by the quality of the photographs and perceive the images as 'beautiful', others feel that the overall work is 'painterly', which is interesting because I come from a Fine Arts background and have never formally studied Photography.  Most viewers look at the fragments and imagine bodily parts other than that actually depicted.
Have to say I'm struggling with what to write about this morning after having a conversation last night with my son who agreed that there's so much contrary, fragmented and misleading information in the media that it's difficult to know what's true and false, which itself engenders commentary that's reactionary or creative. I suppose all we can do, unless we are prepared to sift through all the information is to simply have a gut reaction and hope that we are tapping into a zeitgeist, if not true (don't start me on the nature of truth, isn't truth, just theory since it is a shifting construct?) then certainly a feeling that we are engaging with the spirit of the times. I remember when it was AIDS, the decades of fear, loathing and terror from first media reportage in 1981 until 1997 when new drugs assisted in the decline of deaths in developing countries. But then, not long after in 2001 we all entered the terrorism zeitgeist; again, fear and loathing from a seen and unseen  force. Running alongside this particular zeitgeist is one of global warming, so much to think about and sometimes, just sometimes I want only to luxuriate in the sight of the pink Camellia blooms on the bush outside my kitchen window. Life can be so simple if you ignore the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment