Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I think I think

I haven't posted for a while. But I have been writing a lot. And a series of posts about deep ecology is coming. I'm still feeling my way with a blog. Using the perpendicular pronoun in a sentence is more fraught than I imagined . Who cares what I think? I think.

I am attempting a synthesis of deep ecology with bodies without organs. I am aggrieved beyond words by the ecosophists who decided to turn their backs upon modern philosophy. Although I don't care enough to argue with them, I do think that the ecosphere cannot exist without at least one thousand plateaus.

I always thought that deep ecology meant just that, a philosophy unfolding over a very long time. And understood that the very long time was many many multiples of my own. So it is disappointing to find a project begun less than thirty years ago to synthesize the best of the rest with a simple but profound ecophilosophy abandoned, because the rest has been somewhat arbitrarily judged irredeemably anthropocentric. And careerist.

But who cares what I think? I think. I think!

1 comment:

  1. I care what you think. It is other minds that provide a rich diversity of ideas that sometimes challenge our own ways of seeing, but certainly add to our ways of knowing.
    To attempt 'a synthesis of deep ecology with "bodies without organs"' is a fine endeavor. I imagine that you must be reading Deleuze and Guattari's 'A Thousand Plateaus...' in which they describe the Earth as a 'body without organs' - potentials, traits and movements (just to name a few). I guess since 'deep ecology' recognizes the right of everything to flourish (not just humankind) - then 'we' need to consider our actions - our flows and intensities alongside the flows and intensities of our environment and not work counter to it. But if the question is whether humans have more value than other living things, you might consider this. Last night I watched a documentary about the universe, and although I'd seen similar information before I was totally blown away by 'our' (meaning Earth and our solar system) insignificance within the total system. We are just a small speck in an otherwise immense space that is forever expanding. Viewed from millions of miles away everything on earth is equal - dust - insignificant. Viewed from close up in our interpersonal relationships with others (human and non-human) there is much significance. But we make this so. We are trapped (if you like) all together in a finite space, so we should take care of each other.

    ReplyDelete