Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A sense of place

I'm happy to report that I've found a place to live and will be moving to Hawthorn East in a couple of weeks. Without the help of an extended family member, my son and his girlfriend I would probably have had to move to some outer suburban area away from things and people that I love. I'm so grateful! I'll be spending the next two weeks sifting through the detritus of my life possessions and deciding what to take and what to discard. I think this is a good thing to do after thirteen years of living in the same abode. There will be mental and physical adjustments to make and it will take some time for me to establish my new life. Although Hawthorn is not unfamiliar to me, I lived there until I was eight years old and for twenty years whilst my son was growing from child to adult. I co-ordinated the Hawthorn Community House from 1980 to 1988 and have strong connections to the place. Indeed, I'll be living opposite a park that I've walked through hundreds of times in my life. I'm not looking forward to the actual move and missing the people in the street and on the bus who are the measure of my day, but I am looking forward to seeing the beautiful flowers on the trees growing outside the bedroom window in the new place, sitting on the little balcony on a Spring day and just enjoying the whole idea of being somewhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment