Thursday, August 26, 2010

Inception review

I've just seen Inception, written and directed by Christopher Nolan who is an absolute genius. Who could forget the complexities & twists and turns of Memento (2000). Usually when a film is more than one and a half hours long I'm shifting in my seat, but this film had me firmly planted in place, totally immersed and absorbed. It's intelligent, artful, fast paced, exciting and keeps you wondering right up until the final scene. Is the conundrum resolved, well you'll have to decide for yourself. But you know, I had one myself because whilst watching Arthur, played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, I kept thinking that he looked very much like a young Heath Ledger and that kept playing on my mind ~ like the film created a slipstream, carrying me from one scene of surging water to another ~ some distant shore being touched in the dark recesses of my mind. I haven't had a dream within a dream for a long time and thank goodness for that because they are incredibly disturbing. This film has the characters lost in layers of unconscious dream states that demands you don't loose track of what is going on, otherwise you will be left in limbo. So, if you're going to see this film make sure you're wide awake because there's not one central plot. The psychology of the main protagonist Cobb (Leonardo diCaprio) forms an underlying narrative that permeates the whole story line and raises the possibility of multiple realities. I'd certainly recommend this film, especially if you are looking for great acting and an escapist cinematic experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment