Saturday, July 17, 2010

Steve Middleton Image

Computer-generated image by Steve Middleton, 2010.

Computer generated image about isolation, monotony and moments that never arrive. Life size experiments: large prints that refer to the photograph in colour, contrast range and detail but which synthesize those with irrational and unmotivated elements -perspective, shadow and reflection - borrowed from the hyper real. I am drawn to emotional contexts which are not well served by CGI. I am mindful of the transition in French Painting from David to Gericault. My work presently attempts to push some boundaries - ones not well defined and which may well exist only in my imagination - to realize private and emotional themes in the somewhat emotionless and public theatres of the virtual. (Artist statement)

Dr Steven Middleton has a PhD in the application of artificial intelligence and robotics in art from RMIT. He is an animator who has created interactive artworks and worked closely over the years with Stelarc and other Australian artists. I met Steve in 1994 and have followed his work with interest. But I want to pick up here on his reference to 'isolation, monotony and moments that never arrive'. There must be many people who experience this terrible state of being. I for one do everything I can to get out and see people and things and I think that most people attempt do this even if they are old or in pain. It does make me think though, that perhaps why we don't see many old people walking around Melbourne is because they are in hospital, incapacitated or that there is simply nothing for them to do. Of course, when I do see the elderly~ at cinemas or at the market, many are struggling to walk ~ using a cane, walking frame or holding tightly onto their shopping cart. I already find it difficult negotiating public transport ~ the lack of space, the crowds, the rudeness. People are so busy and in a rush these days. Perhaps those that choose isolation (as opposed to those who have no choice due to circumstance), do so, so that they don't have to deal with an uncaring public! I wonder what the master of irony, Karl Lagerfeld (blogger ~ not the real Karl Lagerfeld) would say about old age, isolation and monotony? He'd probably say 'get out there girlfriend! Buy a walking stick (fashionable mobility aid, if you don't mind, darling!) and use it to move those horrid people out of the way!

2 comments:

  1. Steve's words ''isolation, monotony and moments that never arrive' made the experience of viewing his work much more powerful. Julie's examination of those words extended the experience a lot further.
    I am not an artist and know little about the world of the artist, I enjoy this blog in spite of my state of ignorance.
    thanks Julie
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, It may also help you to know that Steve has been struggling for many years now with mobility after an operation on his spine ~ I think it was in 2002. He's an utter inspiration to me, for he undertook an MA and PhD, held several art exhibitions and wrote articles all the while coping with pain and quite a debilitating disease. Thankfully, he's on the mend.

    ReplyDelete