Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Self-portrait X 2

Self-portrait with orb. Pencil on A3 sized Moulin du Roy, w/c paper.
Julie Clarke (c) 2018

Whilst all the facial drawings I've done this year were more concerned  with disrupting the face or depicting micro facial expressions, the one above, which I completed last week is actually based on a photograph I took of myself and is more realistic. It is commentary of sorts on the way in which identity is fragmented in cybernetic culture. The orb, a metaphor of rationality was taken from a small oil painting on Masonite I completed in 1991. I was interested in 18C illustrations of mathematical objects, the Enlightenment, machines, prosthesis, etc. Not a lot has changed.
Self-portrait, 1991. Oil paint on Masonite. Julie Clarke(c)

No comments:

Post a Comment