Sunday, July 29, 2018

Trees are so bodily

Pencil on 56 x 76 cm Moulin du Roy on acid free watercolor paper.

 Julie Clarke (c) 2018
Trees are aesthetically pleasing. Their limbs,which are so human at times. Their outstretched arms. Their strength and fragility. Recent high winds inspired me to consider the beautiful Plane Tree that towers above my place and is a source of fear (will any of its boughs break and fall on my roof?) as well as a source of pleasure since in spring and summer it sports thousands of leaves, which unfortunately fall and must be swept up nigh on five months per year. Last Saturday I walked through the highly constructed, but beautifully dense Botanical Gardens and later saw Storm (at Domain House), an exhibition that considered the affects of atmospheric nature on our existence. Early last week high winds damaged a crane in Richmond and was so dangerous that Bridge Road, Richmond was closed off to traffic from Church Street to Punt Road. It was the first time that I'd experienced the silence and emptiness of Bridge Road bereft of trams, car and at times pedestrians. I really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment