Tuesday, October 3, 2017

SEYMOUR + SRHC + Goulburn River



My love affair with trains and train travel (which waned for about thirty years due to a series of unfortunate events, which made me rather phobic of anything to do with trains) began with my first trip on a regional country train from Wangaratta to my Auntie's farm in Yarrawonga in September 1961 when I was ten. My two siblings and myself rode unaccompanied by any adult, on a train pulled by the iconic and historic Spirit of Progress and I recall loving the look of that beautiful Art Deco engine and I still do today. Most of my relatives have lived in regional Victoria, indeed Yarrawonga is near to Cobram where my grandmother grew up. My subsequent rail journeys were from the then Spencer Street station (now Southern Cross) to Benalla, Wangaratta, Shepparton, Albury and Trafalgar during school holiday periods on the Southern Aurora or Spirit of Progress. I loved the separate lounge cars with soft, worn leather seats. I recall the copper-colored wire luggage racks and the large, framed sepia photographs of country towns on the carriage wall; a window to the world. With this in mind and continuing with my regional train trips yesterday I took the 8.25am VLocity train to Seymour and love seeing a different manifestation, indeed a closer look at the Great Dividing Range and Mount Disappointment.



I arrived at Seymour station at 10.03 in time to walk the ten minutes to keep my appointment with a volunteer from the Seymour Railway Heritage Centre who had agreed to give me a tour of their rolling stock. In the first instance I'd like to thank Kevin Wright from SRHC who organised the tour and more importantly John who took me on an informative and interesting journey inside  old carriages with economy and first class seating and a Royal carriage that carried HNR Prince Charles and Lady Diana. I couldn't resist sitting in the chairs that they had sat in way back when. My favorite of all I saw was the bull nose engine that pulled the Spirit of Progress and the beautiful Art Deco interiors of some of the first class carriages, which showed such magnificent workmanship in the stain glass windows and light fittings.




After an hour of seeing all these historic trains I walked towards the main street and looked around the Art Deco Railway Club Hotel. Thanks to the bar woman who made me a complimentary cup of coffee, which I drank in their sunny courtyard. Walking away from the hotel I asked a man if he knew where the historic Royal Hotel was located. He offered to drive me there. So, thanks again Jonothan who was as friendly as everyone I'd met so far. He put local friendliness down to the fact that they were country folk. His family had lived in Seymour for generations and it seems that everyone knows each other. And thanks Jonothan for suggesting that after looking inside the hotel I walk the five minutes to see the Goulburn River. What an absolutely serene and capturing place it was buzzing with wildlife whilst simultaneously emitting a tranquil energy. Nature's beautiful flora was reflected in the still water. I really could have stayed by the edge of the river all day but I knew I had a long walk in front of me back to the station. Exhausted I caught the 1.54pm train, which returned me back to Southern Cross at around 3.15



As usual, all photographs are copyright to Julie Clarke (c) 2017

1 comment:

  1. I very much enjoyed seeing the photographs of Seymour. They way you described your day made it a shared experienced which i enjoyed too. I am sad that my first thought was 'danger' when thinking about Jonathan giving you a lift. What a delight that friendly country people can still be found. A small risk for the surprise and conduit to further interesting locations. Thanks for sharing and documenting for us.I
    too travelled to country Victoria as a child, to Swan Hill dozens of times. Intersections and deviations; Lauren

    ReplyDelete