Saturday, July 22, 2017

Port Melbourne Beach, another artwork, Tracey Lamb and Baby Driver

Maiden, Mother, Crone. Oil pastel & acrylic paint on A3 Daler Rowney 200 gsm paper.
Julie Clarke (c) 2017
I began the week by seeing Baby Driver at the Kino Cinema and really enjoyed the concept, music and acting until the last ten minutes when there was a flood of loud music and frenetic action that I just couldn't tolerate. Generally though I'd have to say I enjoyed the film.
During the week I went to the home of Melbourne artist Tracey Lamb and enjoyed lunch and some much needed general repartee and stimulating intellectual discussion, which focused primarily on female artists and the writings of Elizabeth Grosz. Best of all was seeing Tracey's recent sculptures, one of which is wearable and her beautiful photographs. It's so much more rewarding seeing artworks in the flesh so to speak.
And on the front, yesterday morning I did another oil pastel and acrylic paint drawing, which I've posted above. In late morning I headed off to Port Melbourne beach. The welcome mid-winter sun was smiling and the sea was calm. The Spirit of Tasmania was docked.
Photo: Julie Clarke (c) 2017
After lunch - my usual portion of fish and lemon at D'Lish Fish, I took a short walk along the beach and collected a few shells and then decided to walk to the right of Station Pier along the foreshore pedestrian walk, adjacent to the apartments that line the route . Much to my surprise I discovered the new Princess Bridge and at the end a graveyard of pylons from the original Princess Bridge built in 1912. It was a wonderful sea of worn wood and rusty nails. Almost eerie. It stood silent, like an army of sentinels in a watery grave. I loved it.
Photo: Julie Clarke (c) 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment