Monday, January 9, 2017

DEBORAH CONWAY, WILLY ZYGIER, SAL KIMBER

I'd been feeling rather confined during the heatwave. Sure, I could get out in the mornings and go to the gymnasium and do a little shopping, but then, because of the radiant heat and temperatures souring above 30C degrees I was trapped inside. It might have been intolerable except that the test cricket was absorbing and although Australia won 3/0, it may have been due to Pakistan's pathetic fielding. Anyway, yesterday I thought it was going to be more of the same, but the cool change occurred around 12.30 and I headed off to the Victoria Gardens shopping centre to check out some post Christmas sales. When I came out of the centre I crossed the road determined to walk along that small walk bridge that traverses the Yarra. It didn't happen due to my balance issues and my slight fear of heights. It's still one of my challenges for the year. I felt at least that I'd achieved something when I took a photo of this wonderful example of urban inscription on a wall near a large empty block in Victoria Street. You will notice the iconic Skipping Girl sign in the distance.
Urban Inscription. Photo: Julie Clarke (c) 2017

I'd planned to go and see Deborah Conway and Willy Zygier who were performing for Sunset Sounds a free City of Stonnington music event and so I took a tram down Chapel Street to High Street, Prahran and then walked the four blocks up to Victoria Park. I was a little disappointed that instead of 6pm, Deborah and Willy were scheduled to begin their performance at 7.30, meaning that I'd be travelling home after dark. However both she and Willy were in the audience and I took a couple of candid photographs of Willy playing his guitar and one of Deborah, Willy (and friend?).

Willy Zygier. Photo: Julie Clarke (c) 2017
Deborah Conway, Willy Zygier and friend? Photo: Julie Clarke (c) 2017
Although I couldn't stay for Deborah and Willy's performance I did hear half a dozen songs from Sal Kimber and The Rollin' Wheel. Sal's music takes listeners on a journey through country, fold, rock and pop. I could tell by the lyrics of her songs that she is greatly moved by people in country Victoria.
Photo: Julie Clarke (c) 2017
She was wonderful and sang with such passion. I took a couple of photographs of her singing, but my favourite is the one I took of her hydrating before she began.
Sal Kimber before the performance. Photo: Julie Clarke (c) 2017
It was a lovely atmosphere in the park. Hundreds of people sitting in what looked like an amphitheatre in the amply shaded park, which was built in 1887. I had never been there before and was amazed that such a beautiful oasis was tucked away in an otherwise built up area.
Crowd in Victoria Gardens. Photo: Julie Clarke (c) 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment