Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Whatever

For the first time in a long time I’ve been depressed. I’m not sure whether it’s the cold weather, the constant pain of osteoarthritis, my persistent vestibular migraine symptoms or a combination of all of the above. Whatever it is it has caused me to feel under motivated, hence my lack of interest in posting anything on the blog. Even so, I still go to the gymnasium every second day, try to make some kind of artwork each week and keep up with what’s happening in the art world around Melbourne. I did go and see the TV Moore exhibition at ACCA, but it didn’t appeal to my aesthetics and I walked out of his talk, also at ACCA a week or so ago. I persisted, even though I was struggling being out in Melbourne’s cold weather and the hideous Melbourne crowds waiting for trams to see a performance by Antony Hamilton at VCA last Thursday and I was pleasantly surprised. It was the first performance art piece I’d seen for ages and I appreciated his concentration on breath and the sounds that emanated from his throat and his exaggeratedly slowed down bodily movements. Whilst I was at VCA I looked at the work of Marcel one of the Master’s students, which I enjoyed immensely, so whilst the Thursday before had been a less than lustrous, at least last Thursday was not a write off. During last week I did stand quite close to an emergency helicopter that had landed in Citizens Park and I took a three minute video on my iphone of it preparing for and taking off. The blades of the chopper caused the dew of the grass to rise and the wind under it was incredibly fierce and freezing, so much so that I had to stop filming for fear of losing a grip on my delicate little phone.

 I’m hoping that this week will be better. I’ve had three Prismacolor drawings that I made early last year accepted in a large group exhibition to be held at the Neighborhood Justice Centre next month and am making a couple of applications to show work next year. I can’t seem to shake this weird depression that clings to me like some claggy phantom of the past. I didn’t realize before last night that Richmond appears to be in some flight path. Twice within one hour, sometime after ten o’clock, two loud, heavy aeroplanes crossed the dark sky and left a ripple in my psyche that I couldn’t shake until I fell back asleep. I’m hoping I sleep better tonight and maybe, just maybe my depression will pass. Will post images of  some paintings soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment