Sunday, May 17, 2015

Ear shaped handle, or, more drawings of a gravy boat

On Friday I went to the Kino Cinema in Melbourne to see Clouds of Sils Maria (Olivier Assayas, 2015) which was an absolutely amazing film. Juliet Binoche brilliant as usual, however Kristen Stewart (Bella in the Twilight Series) was equally astounding. If you haven't seen it, the film is intelligent, intense and compelling and the mountains and clouds in Switzerland so seductive as is the plot, which touches ever so gently on un-recognised lesbian desire, ego, time and aging. Reality and fantasy slip so easily into each others space through the mirroring of art and life and as always death never far away.
Yesterday, since it was such a sunny day, I went into NGV International to see the Pre-Raphaelite exhibition and also saw the English Embroidery exhibition, both beautifully decorative. On my way home I dropped into the Red Cross opportunity shop in Bridge Road, Richmond and purchased the only other Vintage silver plated Gravy Boat they had. This one has an ear-shaped handle and is larger than the other one I've been drawing. It may be that it was made by Wallace silversmith's, most probably made in the 1940s. Here's the drawing I did of it late yesterday afternoon. I've used watercolor and waterproof ink pen on A4 Fabriano watercolor paper.
Gravy boat. Julie Clarke (c) 2015
Here's the one I've just completed on Sunday morning using color pencils and fine liner pen.
Gravy Boat #8. Julie Clarke (c) 2015
And one that I did late afternoon, early evening today (Sunday). Apologies for the dark flash marks shown on these drawings and the fact that the background looks grey when the drawings have been done on white paper.
Gravy boat with Dragonfly. Julie Clarke (c) 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment