Thursday, April 24, 2014

Only Lovers Left Alive

Well, what can I say about *Only Lovers Left Alive*? It certainly had its poetic moments & Jim Jarmusch gets brownie points from me for those exquisite night time drive through scenes of the extremely deserted city of Detroit & its old industrial buildings. Double brownie points for that scene at the end of the film when Tilda Swinton (Eve) and Tom Hiddleston (Adam) come across a bar in Tangier and listen to the amazing voice of Yasmine Hamdan who is as sexy as hell singing in Islamic tones. Other than that, the characters were primarily passionless, detached and utterly cool (in a distancing kind of way), but I imagine that this is what Jarmusch intended for if you've been a vampire, seen it all & been around for over four centuries then not much would get you fired up, except those regular doses of Zombie blood ~ Zombies are what the Vampires call humans. I suspect that the film was actually a commentary about drug addiction, sexuality, blood contamination or AIDS. 3.5 stars for me, but only because I thought the music held the whole thing together.

No comments:

Post a Comment