Tuesday, December 3, 2013

LIKE TEARS IN RAIN



The title of this expose, exhibition, revealing, showing and telling was inspired by Roy Batty's (Rutger Hauer) death soliloquy in the science fiction drama Blade Runer (Ridley Scott, 1983). Roy reminisces on his short but very bright life as a Nexus 6, genetically engineered replicant:  I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Poignant, beautiful.
I was fascinated by the fact that in the film the replicant Rachel (Sean Young), unaware than she was not human believed that her 'humanity' and memories were verified by photographs; as if they were tangible evidence of her prior existence and not a medium that could be constructed or manipulated.
We believe when we are told, that the photograph of us is indeed ourselves as a baby even though we have no memory of that time, likewise, we view a photograph of ourselves and don't believe that it’s a true resemblance of our visage - the photographic medium lies or we tell tales to ourselves, believing, and rightly so, that we are more than our mere image. And there may be a photograph of ourselves that we have taken and yet people will say ‘surely that is not you’ for the camera has captured something in your face that they do not recognize and yet you do.
We have memories that are not supported by photographic documentation and there are photographs that hold memories that will never be told. Photographs then, are an approximation - memories too, are tainted - they may be buried or almost forgotten; however the photograph may allow them to be resurrected and reconsidered.
I asked friends to provide a photograph of themselves from any era, up to three words to accompany the photograph and a short explanation of the significance of the words. As you can see, I had varied responses.
Like Dr Who our many faces and many life experiences inhabit our psyche and this project was intended as prompter, as vehicle for recuperation, to retrieve a memory that may have been lost in time. I chose to present the photographs I received in Polaroid format for several reasons. It harkens back to a particular moment in photographic history - I was one of  many using the Polaroid SX70 camera and to me the empty, white space underneath the square-framed photograph always called out for text. Finally, I'd just viewed Blade Runner for the umpteenth time in my life and coincidentally found a self-portrait I'd taken with a Polaroid camera in 2000.



I had already been around Europe for a year as a runaway beatnik at 15 and was about to depart for Australia. Now, more than four decades later I see a defiant and suspicious young man who believed that freedom could be gained by putting distance between himself and his past.


Werner Hammerstingl


My only sister died suddenly in September. Her death leaves a black hole.
Art is where we turn to explain and express our grief and sorrow, a place to keep our memories. Art remains when life is gone.
I will do what I love, and be with those I love. 
Naomi Faith Bishop



this city wears black well
pockets of dark desire
bias cut. stretching to fit
bodies of thought –
that muscular space
beyond the avant-garde
and ragged dreams.
each street weaves urban
into states of cool opaque
mind full of self espresso. 
uncoloured threads of reverie
hem the wake of workers into lanes
where night-graffitied shutters uncloak
secrets. raw yarns spinning shadows
for the heady days where noir is
the new black this city wears

cecilia white


Left alone, got straight into the lipstick
Pezaloom Wd.


Today's St Kilda footsteps echo softly into last century's footsteps with my deceased brother and deceased sister. Their footsteps echo loudly. I tumble. I steady. Take another glimpse. I tumble over and over into the black precipice. I will never trade yesterday's proud and lonely footsteps, for today's gold.
Julie Boustead 

At the peak of my clinical LSD experience I was hyper-globular and totally tidal wave wherein I exited my corporeal self. In the instant in which I thought I would die, I was catapulted back into self awareness and the LSD trip. It was a palpable and utterly unforgettable experience.
Brecon Walsh

This picture was taken in 2005 at Safeco field in Seattle, where I was watching a Mariners baseball game. You can see the game in the reflection of my sunglasses. I had just returned to the US from Australia, and was very happy to be way up high watching my favorite sport.
John Mcgowan-Hartmann



This manifestation of self
barely remembered - although, she is also me,
lies hidden beneath the
lines & cracks
that trace the surface of 
this aging asphalt.
All is ultimately
stone and bone. 
Julie Clarke 

Photo by Alex Garton
Andrew Garton


I close my eyes and remember falling.  So hard and so fast that I hit the bottom before I even knew I’d gone over the edge.  Everything changed from that moment.  Sometimes I even feel grateful for it.  
Kim Anderson 

1. absorbed in or involving thought process - “brows drawn together in thoughtful consideration” - studious, curious, delighted and engrossed.
2. showing understanding for the needs of other people - “she was attentive and thoughtful” - however, most certainly not to the detriment of her own needs.
Tracey Lamb




This photo was taken by Francesca Jurate Sasnaitis at Sappho's Bookshop and Cafe in April 2012. Jurate and I are very old friends but hadn't seen each other for over 20 years. We both found ourselves at a outdoor reading & while April it felt like winter. Jurate took this picture without my knowledge.
Mark Roberts


I sit unaware of the company of my big shadow, smug, content as it takes over my mood. Overcome in my malaise, depression, flat, without vigour. My eyes! Unrecognizable, where HELL did I go? land of disgust, defeat, anger? A Duality moment, struggle with self.
Enza Benincasa

1 comment:

  1. I found these photographs and comments fascinating. In the final one, the text multiples the power of the image exponentially. Lauren

    ReplyDelete