Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Looking forward to Friday and Saturday

I'm looking for to Friday and Saturday this week, for MELBOURNE NOW a major exhibition of art will open at the National Gallery of Victoria on Friday 22 November and *The Day of the Doctor* which will introduce the new Dr. Who (Peter Capaldi), will be simultaneously broadcast around the world on the 50th Anniversay of that most amazing television series I've been watching much of my life. It will screened in Melbourne at 6.50am on 24 November on ABC1.
Did you know that I avidly watch re-runs of Dr Who on ABC every night?
Couldn't help but notice that the writers of Dr. Who episode *The Rings of Akhaten* borrowed a little from Roy Batty's monologue in Blade Runner (Ridley Scott, 1982) who said, just before he died: I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain...
So, compare: Dr Who says in The Rings of Akhaten,  I've lived a long life and I've seen a few things. I walked away from the Last Great Time War. I marked the passing of the Time Lords. I saw the birth of the universe and I watched as time ran out, moment by moment, until nothing remained. No time. No space. Just me. I walked in universes where the laws of physics were devised by the mind of a madman. I've watched universes freeze and creations burn. I have seen things you wouldn't believe. I have lost things you will never understand. And I know things, secrets that must never be told and knowledge that must never be spoken. Knowledge that will make parasite gods blaze...
I must admit this is probably my favorite episode to date. I love the child (Emilia Jones) who sang 'Wake Up' to satiate a God that they were all afraid of and then all the adults joined in to sing this song, which was absolutely glorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment