Monday, January 21, 2013

GOLDEN RAIN TREE

In September 2012, after soaking them for a couple of weeks, I planted about a dozen seeds of the Golden Rain Tree (Koelreuteria paniculata) a native of East Asia, primarily China and Japan, growing in the front garden. Apparently, Pierre de'Incarville, a Jesuit priest introduced the plant to Europe from China in 1747, but I'm not sure how long it has been in Australia.
I'm surprised that I managed to propagate seven plants and although quite small, the little trees are about 3 months old. I found this small, rectangular planting pot at an opportunity shop yesterday and planted one of the trees in it. It now forms part of a little shrine to Buddha on my front balcony. The little plant is already exhibiting its characteristic twisted trunk and beautiful, serrated green leaves.
Although I made my shine to Buddha yesterday, it is only this morning that I've discovered that the Golden Rain Tree, after being brought from China appeared in a Koyoto Buddhist monastery in 1220AD.

No comments:

Post a Comment