Monday, December 17, 2012

Pied Cormorant in Hawthorn yesterday

This beautiful Pied Cormorant (I had to do research on the Internet to discover what kind of bird it was - it's a water bird and most probably made its way to Hawthorn via the Yarra River) was sitting on my fence and preening itself for about forty minutes yesterday. I photographed it from my balcony so as not to frighten it away. It's the first time in my life that I have seen this bird and have now added it to the various species that visit my place, which include Magpies, Noisy Miners, South Australian doves, Lorikeet, Rosella, White Cockatoos, Corella, Silver eyes, Wrens and Wattle birds. They are attracted by the indigenous and introduced plant species growing on the property and have strange and beautiful songs that permeate the air each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment