Thursday, August 2, 2012

Melbourne Art Fair 2012: My experience

Before meeting up with Mark McDean for coffee at Pelligrini's I captured two young tourists sitting on the steps of Parliament House. I love this shot because it was taken at the exact moment that one realized she was being photographed and the other one wondering why she was behaving that way.
I have to say that I was unimpressed by the works in the Art Fair and although I managed to chat briefly with Stelarc and Nina Sellers (I was just about to leave as they were purchasing their tickets) the highlight of my two and a half hour stay in the Exhibition Buildings was when I noticed the face of a Japanese man standing quite still by himself. I asked if I could take his photo and then after exchanging a few works he said that he was one of the artists. Here is my photo of Masahiko Tsubota, Japanese minimalist abstract artist.
Mark and I began the day viewing the works together but managed several times to loose track of where we both were. However, here's a photo I took of him when we finally caught up.
Now here are some of the works I did appreciate, however, I'm sorry I can't tell you the artists names because I didn't bring paper and pencil to record them. They are all luscious in their own way.
 
Having been upstairs and down looking at the artworks I found myself attracted to other things inside the building, which I photographed. The first was light streaming through one of the doors onto a roll of packing material, the second, the striking blue of a woman's pleated skirt; her black gloves & the sleeves of her shirt just covering her rosy red tattoos.
I was glad to get home. It was incredibly cold today inside and out. The Art Fair is still open until 5 August.

No comments:

Post a Comment