Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween

Well, I'm feeling rather saintly (if that means feeling somehow cleansed) on this All Hallows' Eve after blood letting (had a fasting blood test early this morning) at the hands of a rather vampiric pathologist who was lamenting the fact that she was working when most people were having long weekend for the Melbourne Cup Carnival or, in Christian speak ~ All Saints Day celebrations. Being more gnostic than religious I should acknowledge that tonight is Halloween and I will endeavor to engage in some kind of celebration. But, speaking of tomorrow, I'm all in favor of the 'race that stops the nation' and I'll be watching at 3pm as the horses line up in the barriers. Watching the cup has been a tradition in my family for as long as I can remember. Nan always had a bet (a win and a place), though most often she didn't win. There was always excitement around this time of the year; though I think Melbournians are excited more by the prospect of having a long weekend than anything else. Going purely on the horses names & given there is a blood theme happening here I'd pick Red Cadeaux to win in Race 7.  But I won't make a bet, it's a bit of a 'mug's game' (idiomatic reference to an activity that makes you unsuccessful or unhappy) ~ I'll be happy just watching for that exciting three minutes. What I do loathe is the fascinators worn by all the women and the hoards of female clones that march machine-like to the races. Oh well! I don't know whether to blame the big department stores or the women themselves, who don't appear to be able to think outside the square! I guess there's no accounting for fashion!

1 comment:

  1. I don't really see much space between the catholic coalition of living and dead celebrated at all hallows, and the coalition between living and not living proposed by deep greens. They both seem to be displaced medieval relics :)

    ReplyDelete