Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Importance of Being

HIERARCHY OF IMPORTANCE
“From big things, wonderful things grow.”

I'm really not quite sure what the current buzzword is, but the words nesting, communication, conversation and relationship come to my [old] mind. I was made to contemplate this only this morning as the autumnal sun shone on my long macchiato and cafe copy of the Herald Sun.

Yes, I once had an interest in fashion and shopping but, as I viewed the red/green/black carpet identities attending a recent revamp, renovation and makeover, taking us to a new level of shopping as architectural obsession. I asked myself: Where did it all go?

I live far away from my family and wondered why I sit here and read drivel whilst drinking overpriced caffeine. My goal for today was to attend a long lunch with people I have not spent more than one hour with since 2001. I also reflected on the actual 'family contact' time I have had since knuckling down to pursue culture and a PHD.

I have two nieces who I have adored since their birth. They are both now mothers to two and three children, and I realised “why the hell am I following the celebrity path of Danii & Chris, rather than supporting my great nephew's Little League team from afar?

I recall having a facsimile machine delivered to my office in 1986. I said to myself, “I ain't touchin' that thing, how the hell does a machine transport my images and text to the other side of the world?” I can now sit comfortably at home, cooking dinner and enjoying my end of day Pinot Noir, whilst being entertained on the laptop screen by my tribe of great nieces and nephews. Gee, what fun! I no longer sit with my feet on the coffee table and start falling asleep once the 7pm ABC news segues into the weather report.

I want to congratulate Mr WWW for kicking me out of the lounge room, giving me access to family with such convenience and the pleasure of retiring each night knowing that I have continued my ongoing narrative with the Important people in my life; being both enriched and enriching to those the most important.

I have decided to hand back the 'autobiography' describing the birth pains of a particular Australian celebrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment