Saturday, June 4, 2011

Collision and collaboration: Mark McDean/Julie Clarke


Yesterday Mark McDean presented me a simple, but beautiful artwork, wrapped in matte white paper and tied with a large, black, satin ribbon. The work depicts hand-stitched words in black, which collide and slide across a shinny, white surface. I believe both the words and hand-writing are that of his mother's which Mark has rearranged and embossed onto the rectangular plane. New meanings are created in unusual juxtaposition that states:

time for people make it out there so I am as happy as have some time for people who haven't

Rather enigmatic, apart from the obvious black/white binaries. Mark has asked me to enter a collaboration with him and respond with a visual image, which I'll attempt to do sometime this week. For more information on Mark's artworks, see my review of his exhibition 'Trouble Set Me Free'.

No comments:

Post a Comment