Sunday, March 6, 2011

Endless present...

What an enjoyable Sunday afternoon. I've just come home after viewing Endless Present: Robert Rooney and Conceptual Art and Luminous Cities: Photographs of the built environment, two different photographic exhibitions at the NGV International. There's something entirely evocative about Rooney's repetitive faded 70s photographs, which emphasize the mundanity of everyday life, as well as form and content and draw us into a past and perhaps simpler time. An emphasis on aesthetic configuration and repetition contained in man made environments was also noticeably present in a couple of high-angle photographs by Wolfgang Sievers and Laszio Moholy-Nagy in the Luminous Cities exhibition. However, it was Mark Strizic's Collins Street (1960) - a small B & W photo with dark ambiance and wet, shinny road surface that captured me. It was a  view of Melbourne I remembered well.
I ran into Frank Osowski in the members room and he fired a number of question my way in regards to my own photographic efforts of late and suggested I do a Q & A for 'The Body and the City' exhibition. After we had a couple of coffees, he headed off to the State Library and I sat in the sunny Grollo Equiset Garden  at the NGV reading from Jane Eyre and sipping a lovely Sauvignon Blanc purchased from a wine bar they have set up on Saturdays and Sundays, but only until the end of March.

No comments:

Post a Comment