Monday, February 7, 2011

The role of work and blogs

I think essentially I am a lazy person. I believe this stems from being raised as an only child, I became very accustomed to having things my own way and having adults to do things for me.
I am not proud of this, it is just how it is.
Surprisingly as an adult I have worked with a fairly high degree of commitment in my paid work. This was at odds with my natural aversion to work, I think this was due to the feeling of achievement that work provides. The sense of purpose, of making a difference is what drives me in the workplace. Around the house or garden I rarely feel the same reward. One exception recently was Christmas, I did enjoy decorating the table and making a meal for my family.

This brings me to a question that is relevant today, as I usually blog on a Monday. Is this blog work? What is the purpose of the blog and is it making any difference? Before being a blogger I got a lot out of reading Julie's blog. I respect Julie and have made a commitment to her to be part of this blog, however sometimes I feel I don't provide the level of input that is required. Should I spend many hours researching to ensure I write material that is worthy? Should I edit and re edit? Well for now I just provide my current thoughts and a few links that may interest you. Remember Don Burke was called 'The Lazy Gardener', perhaps I am the lazy blogger.

Anyway I am committed to the promotion of Indigenous issues and here is some information of value.

'murundak - songs of freedom'

Friday February 11, 2011, 8:30pm... join us in the O'Donnell Gardens
for a FREE SCREENING.

Follow the journey of the Black Arm Band, Australia's Indigenous
supergroup, in this feature documentary that travels to the heart of
Aboriginal protest music. From the Sydney Opera House to remote
Northern Territory communities, 'murundak - songs of freedom' captures
anthemic songs of sorrow, anger and hope from pioneering artists
including Bart Willoughby, Kutcha Edwards, Archie Roach and the late
Ruby Hunter as well as emerging artists Shellie Morris, Emma Donovan
and Dan Sultan.

http://www.stkildafestival.com.au/2011-s2/whatson.php?key=2011-02-11&page=2

A Daybreak Films Production. Produced in association with Film Camp,
SBS, Screen Australia, Film Victoria, City of Melbourne and the Black
Arm Band.

The filmmakers wish to advise Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander
people that this film contains images and voices of deceased persons.

Classification: As murundak - songs of freedom has not been
classified, people under 15 years of age will not be admitted without
a parent or adult guardian.

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to your posts Lauren, from the heart is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the most wonderful things about the world is that everyone is different. I also look forward to reading your blogs, and I don't believe for a moment that you are lazy.
    In relation to whether we 'make a difference', I think that each of us make a difference, but we are not always aware of how we impact on other people's lives. I suppose all that any of us can do, is continue to do what it is we do and hope that it make a difference in positive ways.

    ReplyDelete