Saturday, February 5, 2011

Re-connected

Last night my lovely son built me a new computer and this afternoon, whilst he's been visiting I've been checking out my new programs and other features. This is the first time in the past twenty years I've owned a new computer!
It's been a strange few days. The heat, yesterday's humidity and last night the storm cell that hit Melbourne created torrential rain and flooding that was fierce, but tempered of course with the notation that whatever we experienced it 'was not as bad as in Queensland'. I saw this image on the television this morning of flooding at Camberwell Junction. At my place at the height of the storm, water rose to about 18 cm and my poor Magpies, absolutely drenched, took refuge for a short while on my front balcony.
I've watched with interest the developments in Cairo and the courageous behavior of anti-government protesters who suffered greatly after pro-government supporters attacked them yesterday. I admire their fortitude and resilience in the face of such adversity and hope that they succeed in their endeavour to gain democracy, human rights and freedoms in their country. I haven't watched the news since this morning when I woke at 5.20 am to yet another downpour, and so don't know whether America has intervened or made any progress in their attempt to encourage the Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak to resign I suspect it's going to be extremely difficult to convince a dictator who's been in power for so long to relinquish his position.

No comments:

Post a Comment