Thursday, January 20, 2011

Affinities

I am constantly fascinated by the people who visit this blog. Yesterday someone from Jeddah, Saudi Arabia spent 22 minutes reading posts from May 2010. I couldn't remember what my posts were back then, so I checked. I'd written several articles about the wearing of the Burqa, Muslim women politics, film and images, so that may have been the attraction, since Jeddah is, according to Wiki the principal gateway to Mecca, Islam's holiest city, which able-bodied Muslims are required to visit at least once in their lifetime. It is also a gateway to Medina, the second holiest place in Islam. Apparently Jeddah means 'ancestor of women' and is attributable to the tomb in the city which is believed to belong to Eve, which is fascinating because doesn't this show some kind of Christian influence? And on this point, there is an informative website that shows the affinities and differences between Islam and Christianity that readers may want to check out. The belief of both that I like because it appears less religious is: Faith without works is useless (it is not enough to simply say "I believe"), which I translate as: Believing in something is just not good enough, you also have to put in the hard yards.

No comments:

Post a Comment