Thursday, September 16, 2010

Wall rushes and whale's

Unlike Ishmael and his companion Queequeg in Moby Dick, who have set off in very cold weather to embark on a whaling voyage, I have sought solace by returning home from the cold weather outside to continue reading and generally enjoying being in the warmth. I've read to page 78 and just had to post this little description ~ 'With the landless gull, that at sunset folds her wings and is rocked to sleep between billows; so at nightfall, the Nantucketer, out of sight of land, furls his sails, and lays him to his rest, while under his very pillow rush herds of walruses and whales' (p.71). It really is very cold outside today, the wind keeps rushing along and crashing into the trees. It's not gale-force, but the birds huddle and the leaves quiver. I'm grateful for my gas heater and my friendly and engaging book, to which I will shortly return. Like many, I'll be watching 9/11: Phone calls from the towers on ABC1 tonight at 8pm. I'm curious to discover what people actually said when they realised their dire situation, although I suspect that much of what was communicated was love for family.

No comments:

Post a Comment