Wednesday, February 24, 2010

SLAM celebration 23.02.2010

SLAM rally - the passion & the humor, Swanston Street, Melbourne. Photo: Julie Clarke, 2010

Part of the crowd at the SLAM rally in Swanston Street, Melbourne 23/2/2010: Photo Julie Clarke

I always feel fear and excitement when I attend a protest - will they stay peaceful or turn ugly. I've been in some demonstrations in Melbourne where I've felt absolutely terrified. Yesterdays 'Save Live Australian Music' rather than being a protest turned into a celebration of the government's relaxed liquor licensing laws. The rally was two-fold - it demonstrated Melbourean's passion for live music - there was absolutely thousands there - some playing their own music, guitars held in the air, dogs barked, children holding signs whilst sitting on a parent's shoulders, people on bikes, children in prams - everyone was happy. The event also re-enacted ACDC's 1976 'It's a Long Way to the Top' music clip, when band members played on the back of a flat-bed truck travelling down Swanston Street. So, there I was, in the middle of the crowd, clapping my hands up high and singing along - who doesn't know the now famous words - If you think it's easy doin' one night stands, try playin' in a rock 'n roll band. It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock 'n roll. I suppose the one thing I noticed was how we've all become aware of historical moments and so I, like so many others got out the digital camera (my favourite is of a child holding a sign that said: Don't Kill Live Music.) Indeed, I imagine that if we saw all the photos taken of this event many would contain people with a camera held to their eye. I'm probably getting a bit too old for protests. I was at the NGV at Federation Square yesterday having coffee with friends and thought that I would take the tram up to the State Library of Victoria to join the protest. Unfortunately the trams were stopped at Flinders Street so I had to walk the five block up in the sun. After getting involved in the absolute energy of the crowd I decided not to follow it back down Swanston Street to the steps of Parliament House. I've heard it was wonderful. I love people power!

No comments:

Post a Comment