Monday, October 5, 2009

Psychogeography

I am peripatetic - female flâneur. I look sometimes with passionate observation and at other times with almost total detachment at the people in the city. I am too much in the crowd to see the crowd or the crowd to see me. I have no itinerary, but I do have purpose! By walking and taking photos I am writing the city, but does the city also write me? I meander & observe, something - someone catches my eye & I write with the electronic lens. There are opportunities to erase or edit, but the writing is somehow different. This is not idol occupation - wandering with no purpose in mind, my agenda is to record the people and the space and to feel myself in that space. Walking, as opposed to riding is a political act! It says: I move with my feet on the ground, I feel the space of the earth, with each step the surface of the road will change the leather on my soles - will reconfigure the shape of my soul. The 'psychogeography' of the city is fast; the crowds move with a will unto themselves. Sometimes like a flock of birds, one mind, one smooth action & at other times a cacophony of movements, unexpected, unnerving.

No comments:

Post a Comment