Saturday, September 19, 2009

Domenico de Clario: CATHEDRAL (2009) NGV Australia

Photo: Julie Clarke, 2009


I've written a review of Dom's installation - Cathedral (2009) at the Clemenger Contemporary Art Award at NGV Australia, but since I've sent it off in the hope that it will be published in print journal, I can't post it here. But what I can do is put down some keys ideas & associations that I made with the artwork (not all will have been addressed in my review, due to word limit).Although Dom's called the piece 'Cathedral' I'm thinking of it as 'Strength through Joy' because it resonates strongly in many aspects with Nietzsche's pronouncement that Pain is also a joy, curse is also a blessing, night is also a sun and also with Nazi Germany claims of 'Strength through Joy' associated with the desire for a people's car - the Volkswagen.

Elements:
Volkswagen Beetle, trailer & large confessional box, fluorescent lights, plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment