Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Bladerunner/replicant or hominid?

This post was inspired by something that Werner said this morning about 'accelerated decrepitude' and the film Bladerunner (Ridley Scott, 1982).
I was wondering if you could be genetically modified to be like the replicants in the film Bladerunner - to have superior looks, strength, agility & intelligence, for a limited period of four years & then death, would you choose this, or choose instead to live out the rest of your life as you are - vulnerable and imperfect? I would choose to live the rest of my life as I am, whatever life brings. This is not a question for someone with a terminal illness, it is for anyone who is assuming that they will live the usual lifespan (whatever that is).

1 comment:

  1. Adam made the following comment/response on facebook:

    'I'd remain as I am, our current life span (for the majority of people) is nowhere near enough time to experience everything life has to offer let alone four years and even if you could cram a lifetime of experiences into that short amount of time, what would you do? I'd probably end up wasting one of those years just working out what to do for the rest of my time'.

    ReplyDelete