Sunday, June 2, 2024

David Henry Clarke enlisted

I just accessed my father's WW2 war record (I've been waiting for it to be digitised) and here is a photo of him on the day he enlisted. He was 19 years and seven months old. There's such a marked difference between this photo and the one of him in his slouch hat. Obviously he lost weight because his face is slimmer. I can only think that soldiers were photographed with eyes closed to make them identifiable if they died. I also discovered that whilst on wire inspection duty in 1945 he placed his Owen machine gun on the ground. Although he had set it to 'safety' it discharged a bullet that penetrated his right hip and groin. A major injury that terminated his 5.5 years of service. I'm still wrapping my mind around the fact that he was in the war for nineteen hundred and seventy two days. 



No comments:

Post a Comment