Saturday, December 3, 2011

Perception

Ok, so I've probably been a little obsessed with sight of late, but I did have an appointment to see an Ophthalmologist yesterday afternoon about a growth on my left upper eyelid because my doctor was concerned it may have been cancerous rather than a neoplasm (skin tag) related to aging. Fortunately for me it is a benign Papilloma tumor (unrelated I believe to the papilloma virus that causes cervical cancer), which is classically identified by its pointy frond. Under normal conditions I would have had the little devil surgically removed yesterday (Ug ~ the thought of having an injection in the eyelid and a scalpel removing the tumor is just too much to bear! however this must be done and will most probably be undertaken in February next year). The procedure wasn't undertaken because when I arrived for my appointment my upper lip had swollen up and after visit to emergency at St. Vincent's hospital doctor determined I was probably allergic to something I had eaten for lunch. I was promptly sent home after taking an anti-histamine and steroid. Now I need to be allergy tested, with the possibility of having to carry around an epiPen because last week I had an extreme allergic reaction to bee toxin! The joys of life! But having said all this, being in the emergency department of a major hospital certainly makes you feel grateful for the fact that you have such minor things happen to your body. I felt positively well whilst looking around at the ailments of others and noted, that no matter how sick or injured people were that they were mostly calm and accepting of their situation - something that I really need to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment