Saturday, November 19, 2011

LINGUA: Cyber-poem by Julie Clarke 1999



In 1999 I worked closely with Komninos Zervos and the State Library of Victoria to create an interactive cyber-poem, four of the frames are above. When you enter my site you click on the words, which should lead to text, sensuously move the cursor over the words until you find another click-able word, which should also lead to another poem. I created the text over the cover of an old Photo Album., which I colored.  The words - Lingua, Mirabula, Machina, Desire, Body, speak of language, the mirror and my take on our relationship to technological screens. I've been looking for this site for a number of years now and thought that the work was lost. Happy to report that it has been archived through Pandora at the National Library of Australia.

2 comments:

  1. Moira Corby said in an email message on 21 November, 2011:

    "Which is another conversation on the preservation of art made with discontinued technologies...
    Obsolete form but idea, concept relevant, beauty or disjunction how does one access such art form?
    Who chooses what is significant art to preserve or copy to another form. A new digital form. As an artist form and content are integral to the meaning of an artwork.
    Just random thoughts inspired by your blog Dr J."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know who chooses what is significant to preserve, I only know that my poem, along with the cyber poems of others were on the State Library site for a couple of years then disappeared. I remember copying the frames to a disk, but not sure where to find that now and was surprised to find this archived the other day. I'm fairly sure that it was archived because of Komninos Zervos was artist in residence at the SLV and working with poets was one of his projects.The politics of preservation is an interesting one, not even sure how to address this. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete