Friday, November 25, 2011

Friday...

We are bombarded every day with news stories or catastrophic world events that calls us to engage or somehow become involved in, even if that involvement is simply to support another person's cause and yet it is difficult, for as I look around at my friends and relatives I see that each of us is struggling in some way with personal or health issues and these are more urgent and more demanding of our attention and concern than the experiences of strangers. No wonder we want to turn off the television, radio and internet and just retreat into our own space where we can find some beauty. I, myself find solace in my mornings in which I hear  the sounds of different birds as they call to each other and I almost forgot how angry I was at the police over the Tyler Cassidy killing, but was happy to hear a few days ago that the Judge concluded that Tyler did not commit 'suicide by cop', contrary to the arguments put forth, and that police officers who shot Tyler dead 'acted within the limitations of their training'. More and more I'm avoiding the news of the day, not so much as putting my head in the sand, but rather, filtering my experience of the horrors that surround us. However, we can't totally avoid things that become out of our control. Yesterday my pleasant swim in a local pool ended in me having to quickly find a doctor to look at my right hand, stung by some insect, it was almost twice its  usual size with fiery red inflammation. Peace and calm turned quickly into a flurry of activity, as I rushed from the pool to the doctor and from the doctor to the chemist, eventually swallowing a pill and placing a cold compress on my hand, which I could not form into a fist. As I write this my friendly Magpies have arrived to eat their morning bread, the East Rosella's are chirping their glorious sounds and other birds are calling softly to each other. The sunshine is filtering through my windows. Later, I'll be visiting the doctor again, although the steroid and anti-histamine I took yesterday has worked beautifully and my hand is, as it was. Has anything major happened in the world today? I have no idea ~ I know only that last night's dishes are still in the sink waiting to be washed!

2 comments:

  1. a good point you make about The News versus our own personal struggles. I have had a very dear friend go from being fit, healthy and working to hospital ridden this last week. He fell down the stairs, was paralysed at first, had an operation and has begun to have movement. He spent a couple of days in Intensive Care on a ventilator, but is off now.It will be a year before he regains full health, after lots of rehab, if he is lucky.
    It has made me re-evaluate life, it is a minute by minute proposition. Uncertainty is the norm, also work is such a shifting arena, working hard doesn't mean progress ( for me at least) Glad your hand is ok now. Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren, sorry to hear about your friend, yes as you say, life is a minute by minute proposition. My hand is vastly improved, but my doctor said this morning that I am not out of the woods, I have to keep taking the steroid today and tomorrow, to counter-act the bee toxin. I was probably not stung, I would have felt pain, but the puncture wounds on my hands show that my hand came in contact with the stinger and now I now that I am really allergic to bees, will probably have to carry the steroids and anti-histamine with me each Spring. I'm really 'spaced out' by either the toxin or the steroid don't know which, and don't feel well at all. Hoping to feel better by end of tomorrow. Best to your friend. I had a Raiki session in Camberwell this afternoon, which was interesting and rewarding. May do it again sometime. Best, Julie

    ReplyDelete