Aut(o)ptics(o)ma. Installation photo by Julie Clarke, 2011 (Click on image for a larger view)
Although I really liked the iPhone photo that Beornn took of my installation, before I removed the work from the gallery wall this afternoon I took a photograph of it with my Panasonic Lumix digital camera. This is, overall a more accurate portrayal of the work and the colors. Hoping to catch a film tomorrow at the cinema after which I will probably make a short report.
Great observation Steve and that's exactly what I intended. The pins have transparent heads, which are vaguely representative of Petri dishes, and each part of my body is indeed a specimen (a small quantity of material to examine). There is an 'opened' 'closed' aspect to the work that no-one yet has mentioned. I think many people were intrigue by trying to decipher which parts of the body were shown and many saw bodily parts that were not there at all.
Great. The shiny pins add some poignancy I think, as if the subject has been specimen-ized :)
ReplyDeleteGreat observation Steve and that's exactly what I intended. The pins have transparent heads, which are vaguely representative of Petri dishes, and each part of my body is indeed a specimen (a small quantity of material to examine). There is an 'opened' 'closed' aspect to the work that no-one yet has mentioned. I think many people were intrigue by trying to decipher which parts of the body were shown and many saw bodily parts that were not there at all.
ReplyDelete